Friday, November 28, 2008

Surprise, Babies in the House

So last night and the night before I have been hearing alot of squeaks. At first I was like it is the male mice going at it, and it was. Well I fed the mice to the snakes last night, well two to Rylee, Mussler did not want to eat. So there should be no more squeaking right. Again last night I fed and watered all of the rats, heard squeaking again, thinking it was them fighting over food, then the morning rolls around. I kept hearing this squeaking, it was not the mice because they were dead, maybe it was their ghosts coming back to haunt me, you never know. Okay so I went into the kids room and checked on the rats, I started with Mr. and Mrs. Bigglesworth and that is when I saw it.....
Wait for it.....
And here we are. Mrs. Bigglesworth had a litter. SURPRISE!!!! I was in shock, I did not even know she was pregnant. I mean I was waiting and wondered if she would but this was so unexpected. I woke Chris up and dragged him in the kids room. He was asleep and the only thing he said was wait another 4 months and we will have another litter.

Momma is moving her babies because I went and cleaned some of the mess out of the cage. I laid down some new bedding, left some of the old around the nesting area. I gave her some paper towels and will check here in a minute on the status of the babies. The net said that soon after they are born you are to handle them so that your smell is on them. I petted Momma to see if she would bite and so far there is no biting action.


Momma posing with her babies.

Okay so I counted the litter first and told Chris that there were 8, but as I picked up the litter I found 9.

Look how small they are. Man this is amazing. One of God's creatures and it is here in my house. I love animals and to see this miricale it is touching and so exciting.

Momma was trying to escape, and Payton was looking for a snack. She likes to snap at the little animals.
Here they are trying to adjust to the messed up nest. Momma was trying to bury them.

Momma cleaning herself after being handled.


Here is the proud papa. He has been hiding in this almost all day.

He only came out for food and a little water.



Momma before she went back to her litter.











1 comment:

TuTu's Bliss said...

What cute little babies. There is your proof that all babies are cute!!